The twelfth Barbara Vine novel published by Viking in 2005
Kerstin Kvist enters crumbling Lydstep Old Hall to live with the Cosways and to act as nurse to John: a grown man fed drugs by his family to control his lunatic episodes. But John’s strangeness is grotesquely mirrored in that of his four sisters who roam the dark, mazy Essex country house under the strict gaze of eighty-year-old Mrs Cosway.
Despite being treated as an outsider, Kerstin is nevertheless determined to help John. But she soon discovers that there are others in the family who are equally as determined that John remain isolated, for sinister reasons of their own.
- High Tea and Crime: Ruth Rendell is asked about how she creates suspense.
Contemporary Reads 2
- Jonathan Harr - The Lost Painting
- Victoria Hislop - The Island
- Louise Penny - Still Life
- John Banville - The Sea
- P.D. James - The Lighthouse