The House of Stairs
The third Barbara Vine novel published by Viking in 1988
Lizzie hasn’t seen her old friend, Bell, for some fourteen years. But when she spots her from a taxi on a London street she jumps out and pursues her despite all the terrible things that passed between them. As Lizzie reveals those events, little by little, the women rekindle their friendship, with terrifying results.
Henry James often frequented Mentmore, the country seat of the Liberal politician Lord Roseberry, where a Bronzino portrait was reputed to hang in the octagonal library.
Andrew Davies is half way through a Barbara Vine adaptation, a murder mystery called The House of Stairs. 2
Contemporary Reads 3
- Michael Dibdin - Ratking
- Penelope Fitzgerald - The Beginning of Spring
- Alan Furst - Night Soldiers
- James Ellroy- The Big Nowhere
- Stephen Hawking - A Brief History Of Time
- Peter Carey - Oscar and Lucinda